Wilkes-Barre Bridge Renamed in Honor of Local Unit, 109th Field Artillery
Photographs
One of the Pennsylvania National Guard’s most historic units was bestowed a special honor during a Veterans' Day celebration near Wilkes-Barre, Pa. Nov. 13. The former Carey Avenue Bridge was renamed the 1st Battalion, 109th Field Artillery Pennsylvania Army National Guard Bridge. Spanning the Susquehanna River, the bridge is nearly one-half mile long. Dignitaries, senior state politicians and current unit member and retirees attended the event. After several speeches, the unit led a march across the bridge and at mid-span cut a banner to formerly name the new bridge. The 109th Field Artillery was founded in 1775 as part of the Connecticut Militia. Today, it remains one of the few and perhaps the only Guard unit to fly two state flags